What is Somatic Therapy?
Somatic comes from the greek word 'soma' meaning of the body. Somatic therapy works on the basis that much of our trauma and conditioning is held in the body (if you have read The Body Keeps The Score you'll be familiar with much of the research that underpins this).
One of the main tools I use that underpins the work I offer is Focalizing and I am pleased to announce that I will be co-training another Practitioner Training for this from May 2021. I will be co-training this with Nick Werber the Programme Director for the Focalizing Institute.
Focalizing is a somatic healing technology that enables participants to completely reinvent their lives by resolving the barriers that prevent them from experiencing their fullest potential of well-being and joy. These barriers can be in the form of conditioned thinking, traumatic experiences, stress, depression, sexual and intimacy barriers and more. Once these blocks have been brought to resolution, Focalizing takes on the form of a creative tool that supports participants to access levels of awareness that allow them to act and make decisions that are deeply informed by their body and whole being.
Dr Michael Picucci put this work together through his years of experience as a Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Master Addictions Coach and Somatic Experiencing Facilitator. It also uses elements of Vipassana Meditation, Healing Imagery, Family Constellations and his life experience in this field.
What happens in a Focalizing Session?
From the outside it looks very much like a guided meditation. We start with intention and work to drop into a participants body to guide the rest of the session. We are dealing with, primarily, the participants body and the part of the brain - the brain stem - that talks to the nervous system. It transcends talking therapy but you may be asked to report back about the sensations that arise to best guide the session.
Practitioners use an 8 point structure to safely facilitate then the participants experience.
Integrating Focalizing in Your Practice
One of the things that is so rich about Focalizing is the way it is offered as a complimentary modality that can be integrated within existing practices. From experience I integrate this with my training in other Somatic Modalities as well as sound and artistic practice. Nick blends his with coaching and his expertise in Family Trauma through Family Constellations. Many of the Focalizing community blend with a myriad of modalities and even simply as a resource in their everyday life.
This training may be right for you if you are:
- A traditional talking therapist looking to integrate new ways of body based working with clients
- A yoga teacher or movement practitioner looking to ground your practice in some ways of resourcing your students from the body
- A holistic therapist looking for a trauma based modality to add to what you offer
- A coach looking to learn some body based skills to blend into your work
- A facilitator of any kind curious about a more 'presence' based approach to holding space
- You are a parent looking to learn some body based practices to support your children's wellbeing
- Anyone looking to learn some body based approaches to supporting your own nervous system health
Want to hear more?
If you wish to register your interest please email me at .
2021 Practitioner Training - Practicals
Our next intake will begin on 9th May:
- The course is 10 modules
- Online Course via Zoom | Sundays at 12noon New York Eastern Standard Time (5pm UK time)
Dates: May 9th, 16th, 23rd | June 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th | July 11th, 18th, 25th
*Note: No class on Sunday May 30th or July 4th due to holiday
- Training is 2 hours long, expect to commit a 2 hours each week to practice and homework
- A Focalizing Institute practitioner certification is available to attendees who complete the course, self study and also complete a minimum of 3 of their own Focalizing sessions with a Focalizing Practitioner. These are an additional £70 or $100.
- All training is via zoom
We are committed to keeping this affordable as we wholeheartedly wish to make this work accessible and available. For that reason the investment is:
- $825 or $700 early bird before 16th April
- Payment plans are available on request
- The pre requisite for completion of 3 individual sessions is not included and should be budgeted for
**Limited scholarships are available based on need and are prioritized for black, indigenous and LGBTQ applicants
Meet The Trainers
Nick Werber is a writer, healer and integrative coach specializing in individual, family and inherited trauma, mindfulness, applied neuroscience and energy work. In addition to his private coaching practice based in New York City, he is the founder of the Family Constellations and Somatic Healing Institute (FCSHI.org) and a board member of the Focalizing Institute (theinstitute.org).
Nick’s work has been a featured by the Embodiment Conference, My Wellbeing Therapy Network, Maha Rose Center for Healing, The Embody Podcast, Radio Free Brooklyn, and the City Wellness Collective Healer’s Network
Jo is a Somatic and Sound Therapist, Embodiment Facilitator, Recording and Visual Artist. Jo specialises in working one to one with creative souls to live in their own unique creative flow as life itself. Jo is based in Margate UK and works with clients and groups internationally.
Jo’s embodiment work and sound healing events have been featured by The Guardian, The Embodiment Conference, Margate Radio, Arts and Health for South East UK and more.